Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coaching

Go down 
+2
Guru
thedamnedfan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Number of posts : 799
Registration date : 2007-05-11

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 3:11 am

Well, since I moved I have been in contact with some people from the area and have learned that my brothers school is looking for any kind of help in the lacrosse area. And since I have been exposed to such prodigies such as Jaron, Jace and Butters... Very Happy I feel I have enough to contribute to a team that clearly needs the support and help.

The dedication I have had in the past to the sport is what drove me to confront the board of parents here about it, and now im actualy in consideration for a coaching position on their coaching staff, which currently consists of noone. So...

In the spring I will be submitted to a groups of kids I am unacquainted with that I really need to connect with to try and make them as good as possible. Really, im just looking for anything worth doing to try and figure out this team.

So stepping in, what would be some smart things...

I am asking both experienced and non-experienced players what they have seen work or what they would have liked to see. I already have a personal experience with many different forms of coaching, being at the hands of nearly half of the coaches in the MALA conference at one time or another as well as participating in a well structured camp.

So... anyone have some input. Really just some discussion and ideas for what to do would be greatly appreciated, especially from Jace, since he is a coach and what not.

Thanks in advanced.
Back to top Go down
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-06-01

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 10:26 am

ill actually read this in about an hour and give you tips
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 3:17 pm

What school
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 3:58 pm

theres a ton of information on coaching lax teams on the net, like drills and how to relate to your players and stuff. Gl with your team and keep us updated on your record. tape some games and post em too Smile
Back to top Go down
Coach_Goldberg
Freshman
Freshman
Coach_Goldberg

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Wow, good work in trying to help out a team in need. Coaching a team where you know no one on the team may be a benefit to you in that it's a fresh start with the players. Their first instinct is to respect you. It's up to you to continue that.

The most important thing I think about being a coach, IMHO, is to stay positive no matter what. This is sometimes very difficult to do, but in any given situation the players look to you to see the appropiate way to react. Secondly, learning to balance different roles is important too. I would love to be buddy/buddy with all my players all the time, but this leads to them seeing you as a friend more than a coach and inclines them to not respect you as much. You don't have to be mean all the time, but the players must know that during practice and game time that you are "coach". When things get tough, remember that you are doing this because you love lacrosse and wish to share that with these players. Anything else, and you are cheating them.
Back to top Go down
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 5:33 pm

In response to Jace:
Alrighty...

In response to Jaron:
Shawnee Mission East

In response to Nate:
I was trying to get some more personal answers other than just reading the stereotypical stuff online. I wanted to feedback from people I know, which is why I posted it here other than on TLF. And dont worry, I will be keeping you guys up to date on stuff about my new situation and hopefully a good experience.

In response to Goldberg:
Thanks for the information.

Information Update:
I just got an email this morning from the now head coach. He is wanting to bring me on with him after reading something I had sent to the team board. So I know now its just not me that was interested, however I am unaware of his skill level and how much he has participated in lacrosse, wether he played HS, collegiate or even more. Because I know there are some MLL and NLL guys that live in the Kansas City area. But anyways, now im not getting thrown into this situation blind. I have a meeting with him at a throw around next satruday. I will let yall know how this ends up.
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Im going to warn you. Coaches in Missouri are NOTHING like coaches in Wisconsin.

These guys are men, and very experienced ones at that. Alot of them have played at schools such as Towson, Hobart, Notre Dame, Butler, and many other NCAA schools and they take there jobs very seriously. If you plan on being taken seriously as a coach, you had better approach the job very seriously as well.

Im also not sure as to coach Dusty Kilgore's level of experience, although I do know that most of the teams in KC are not pulling in serious levels of talent, because all of it goes to Rockhurst.
Back to top Go down
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, I know the previous staff, Dusty Kilgore included, was releived of their jobs and now they are searching for a new staff. But I do see where you are getting at the coaching here, and yeah, it sucks that all talent is at Rockhurst. My brother is actually considering it for next year since he has heard good about it and he is quite talented, fairing well this past season being a freshmen in varsity goal.

But you can ask any of my teamates, I took this last year serious, and thats because I take lacrosse serious when its time.
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448

Coaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching   Coaching EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 10:03 am

EDIT: OMG WHOEVER KNOWS MY PASSWORD STOP LOGGING IN AS ME

Last edited by on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down