Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Detroit Mercy

Go down 
+2
gfields5
AHSlax21jr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AHSlax21jr
Freshman
Freshman
AHSlax21jr

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 pm

As a brand new DI school does anyone know how they'll shape up? Knowing that Nichols is going there I was just wondering.
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 pm

From what I have heard, they will probably be below the caliber of an average DI team. I'm sure, because of Detroit-Mercy's ability to give out scholarships, they will get some quality freshmen. However, I cannot imagine that they will be much better than the average DIII team.
Back to top Go down
mmhs089
Rookie
Rookie
mmhs089

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-05-17

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 am

Its going to be interesting. I chose to commit there just as much for the school as the lacrosse program, they are great in my major. Obviously we wont be in the top 25 our first year but we have a suprisingly good group of recruits (Onondaga's Goalie who chose UDM over Towson, Providence, etc., #1 defender in michigan, two allamerican JUCO middie transfers, plus more) So i hope we will be able to compete a little deeper into my career.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 12:05 pm

It will definitely take some time for Matt Holtz to bring that team together and make them competitive. Depth will be a huge issue in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:19 pm

So Zach, I've got a few questions about the team. First, did you get officially recruited by DMU, and does that mean that you will be on the team for sure next year. Second, did you get any scholarship money to play?
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2007-05-11

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm

As someone who has experienced playing for a first year team....you gotta trust me when I say it will take time.

We have an amazing group of players, some of the kids the best I have ever played with, but, youth, immaturity, and lack of cohesion as a unit will always play a role in the first couple of years.

Looking at programs like Manhattan, and even more so Bellarmine (a fellow Midwest team) you see that it takes a little time before the gears start to click. Bellarmine is having their first successful year as a program, currently sitting at 6-4. Manhattan, which is in a prime location for recruiting out of Upstate New York and Long Island, is still experiencing growing pains in their 9th season.

Bottom line, I am sure Detroit Mercy will bring is some great players, and shock a few people on the way, but don't be surprised if a takes a couple of years. Support the program regardless, their time will come.
Back to top Go down
mmhs089
Rookie
Rookie
mmhs089

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-05-17

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:15 pm

gfields5 wrote:
So Zach, I've got a few questions about the team. First, did you get officially recruited by DMU, and does that mean that you will be on the team for sure next year. Second, did you get any scholarship money to play?

1. Yes, i did get recruited. It was kinda weird. i was talking to Holtz when he was at Michigan State and saw me play for Mil. Select in Kalamazoo. He called me when he got hired at UDM and asked for film. Then he invited me on a visit and it went from there.

2.Yes i did receive an athletic scholarship to play there. I got a substantial amount of academic money too so that helped in the decision. Being a first year team, Holtz is trying to fill a 30-40 man roster. He only has a limited amount of scholarships (11 i believe) so there will be some walk on practice players. Im assuming the scholarship players automatically make the roster.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-05-11

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:17 pm

I would take any scholarship from any team, I don't care if they are the worst ever. Nothing beats free money!
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Sponsored content

Detroit Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Mercy   Detroit Mercy Empty

Back to top Go down

Detroit Mercy
Page 1 of 1