Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interesting situation...

Go down 
+4
Butters
thedamnedfan
SiouxLax
Photoguy!
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Photoguy!
JV
JV
Photoguy!

Number of posts : 132
Location : Edgerton, on the edge of nowhere, close to somewhere...
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Interesting situation... Empty
PostSubject: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 am

So fellas how many of you can watch videos on the TV portion of Inside Lacrosse?

If you get a chance check out one of the videos. Specifically the MLL season-Top Moments (7/28 )

At the 1:02 mark of the video, there is a portion where it's mentioned about the MLL Rookie class of 2008. The first mention is of Chicago's Steven Brooks and a short video accompanies the mention. Then it goes on to talk about Mike Lavielle and about Rabil and acouple other rookies. Well you will notice a photo instead of a video that is accompanying the discussion of Mike Lavielle.

Well it's one of mine.

This one...Interesting situation... _v2p4810

It's actually kinda of a crappy shot but that isn't where the problem lies.

They didn't get the rights from me to use it...

It's funny that within a full month's time I already have a shot in the Aug. magazine. There is another shot slated to appear in the sept. issue (InFocus again).

But now this rears it's ugly head.

I don't think it's going to be a problem as I sent off a nice email to them about it. But I just wanted some of you guys to at least go and view the video to say that you saw it. Just in case (which I don't forsee happening), if they say it wasn't there and pull it down.

The problem that I am running into is that it was used, and I wasn't told about it nor was I going to be compensated for it. Who knows hopefully I will be able to get some decent equipment out of it, as thats what I asked for compensation.

So Im just asking for a little help if needed.

Thats it for now.

Thanks,
Ross
Back to top Go down
http://crossczech.smugmug.com/  This is where you buy the awesom
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:34 am

That's kinda lame on their part.

What's the link to the video?
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Photoguy!
JV
JV
Photoguy!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Well the link that I tried to use sends you to the stupid video of one of the guys from the San Jose Stealth putting on a fu manchu beard. So that doesn't work.

Here is what I am talking about

Interesting situation... Captur10

But then today I went into the webpage again and on the main portion there are two more photo snippits of mine they also used.

Here is the link to the main page http://www.insidelacrosse.com/

Interesting situation... Screen10

Recognize these guys!

Interesting situation... _v2p4713
Interesting situation... _v2p0110

So I get on the phone to try to talk with someone at IL and was told that there isn't any budget to pay me. So I told them to pull the shots...

Hmmm are they down yet?

No.

Mad Evil or Very Mad

Ross
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Great chance to make some money the good 'ol USA way. threaten to press charges...although then they may not want to do business with you anymore.

I'd just ask them for something of value to you, even if it's not $$.
Back to top Go down
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 12:26 am

DEMAND A PHOTO PAGE!

Every month your shots will be featued... sound baller? And you get paid for them too.

But you would think their design department would have copyright and what not on lock. Im an art student and would never jack photos like and use them how they were used. But clearly they are doing it for beneficiary reasons.
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Or they just figured Ross would never have noticed, I doubt most photographers would have, so props to you for noticing it.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm

I best some plebe intern thought that since the pictures were technically posted on Inside Lacrosse's website, they were property of IL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 11:08 pm

Absolute copyright infringement. With a good lawyer, you could potentially milk them for every hit they have had since using your pictures, which realistically, is a ton of hits.

I know your a nice guy, but I would threaten a lawsuit to get what you want. Also, I wouldn't disclose too much information on here, because they could likely use it against you. Facts about what is going on is fine, but don't express any personal opinion of IL on these pages.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Unless somewhere in the fine print it says any pictures you upload to their site are then their property.
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 am

hey ross, saw another one of crossczech's photos in the newest IL, do they have permission for that one? i hope?
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:28 am

Speaking of... how did this situation ever end up? Well I would hope.
Back to top Go down
Photoguy!
JV
JV
Photoguy!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 am

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on here in awhile.

I have been in Indianapolis and New Orleans for the last 12 days.

Ok so as it stands right now I haven't been paid for any of the photos I have taken that are in either issues.

On top of that I haven't had a chance to discuss anything with anyone at IL about the photos that were on their webpage.

So I am going to deal with this today as I finally have a full day to get things straightened out.

One question I do have. Who out there has the latest (Sept) issue that I could see possibly and borrow for acouple of days? You will get it back but I need to check it and verify the issue against shots on my computer and then I will give it back.

Apparently there should be 2-3 more photos of mine in that issue and I need to verify that.

I don't know if Barnes N Noble has the latest issue and even if they do I really don't want to purchase any issues from them (IL) until this is all resolved and I am happy.

If you know what I mean!

So I will fill in details as we go...

Ross
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:59 pm

While I understand why you wouldn't want to purchase one, if you can't find one the payoff if they stole photo's would be worth the few bucks.
Back to top Go down
Photoguy!
JV
JV
Photoguy!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 4:49 pm

Update: So I am to receive a check before this Thursday for the photo in the August Issue.

So there is a start.

The thing that I found out was the person who was in charge was out of town for 2 1/2 weeks so that is why the mixup happened.

The same person is going to be getting back with me before the mid to end of the week about what is up with the photos that were on the webpage and if I will be compensated for those.

So It looks like this is going to be resolved nicely. Which is all that I wanted to hear.

So stay tuned to this bat channel for details!

R
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Good to hear that you'll be compensated, and good to head that it wasn't intentional on IL's fault.
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 5:28 pm

i canceled my subscription in protest Razz

edit: or rather just didnt renew it
Back to top Go down
Photoguy!
JV
JV
Photoguy!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Ok well you guys don't have to go out and do that as I finally got paid today for the first photo in the August issue.

So I am still speaking with someone at IL about the photos on the webpage.

Ross
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting situation...   Interesting situation... Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting situation...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: www.wiscolax.com-
Jump to: