Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reffing stuff.. email I just got

Go down 
+5
SpLAX
Butters
veronalax33
RiDE
Nate
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Reffing stuff.. email I just got Empty
PostSubject: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Dave Wollin (MALA Referee Coordinator) is holding a referee registration meeting at Bowl-a-vard Lanes on the east side of Madison Wednesday, October 22 at 7:00 PM. At this meeting you can fill out a registration form and get information regarding the training (November 14-16) and what is needed to become certified.

All of you (that includes parents and players) are encouraged to consider being a referee. It pays well and really gets you familiar with the game (we can all use some extra money, right?).

If you have any questions, or are unable to attend this meeting, please call or e-mail Dave at 334-3076 or dave@dwdcrafts.com.

Thank you for supporting this great sport!
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 6:43 pm

this pays rediculously well, like you will quit your job where you work 20 hours a week and work 3 a week and make more money. take him up on it
Back to top Go down
veronalax33
JV
JV
veronalax33

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 9:23 pm

How much do you actually make per game?
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 10:23 pm

2 Years ago it was 60 varsity 50 jv. I believe it went up to 65/55. While I do believe everyone should try reffing at least once before people go around saying it's ridiculously easy keep in mind you're treated like absolute crap 50% of the games you ref because most fans and some coaches don't know the game. With that in mind I will probably be back doing both hs and GLLL again.
Back to top Go down
SpLAX
Freshman
Freshman
SpLAX

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 pm

veronalax33 wrote:
How much do you actually make per game?
Straight from madlax.org:

2 referees per game:
Varsity - $65
JV - $55
Youth - $45.

1 referee per game:
Varsity - $97.50
JV - $82.50
Youth - $67.50
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunprairielacrosse.com
tidbits
JV
JV
tidbits

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 am

do we have to register again if we reffed last year? no offense to anybody from sun prairie, they're a great team but watch out for their parents. i don't know if their bad as they were last year but they were yelling at ken bice's calls so you know that they're insane
Back to top Go down
SpLAX
Freshman
Freshman
SpLAX

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 9:22 am

tidbits wrote:
do we have to register again if we reffed last year? no offense to anybody from sun prairie, they're a great team but watch out for their parents. i don't know if their bad as they were last year but they were yelling at ken bice's calls so you know that they're insane
I think you do. You should drop an email to Dave to be sure. As an SP coach, we have addressed several issues with some of the parents. My only suggestion to any ref at any level, TAKE CONTROL. The rule book (I don't have mine handy to quote directly) gives you the ability to warn, then penalize a team for the behavior of their fans. If spectators are abusive, call a time out, gather the coaches at the scorers table and tell them that there are some fans that are out of line, and the coaches need to do something or they will be penalized. If it keeps up, throw the flag. Same thing if the players are getting out of line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunprairielacrosse.com
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 11:44 am

Sun Prairie and Stoughton are both historically the two worst for fans from my experience. Although Stoughton fans it seemed it was only when the team struggled, Sun Prairie fans are pretty consistently upset with everything. As a spectator, Verona fans are pretty bad (I've never reffed Verona as I played for them). Regardless though I've been in some pretty crappy situations reffing lacrosse with coaches/fans/players, but it's still nothing compared to some of the stuff that happened as a hockey ref. As SpLax said take control, but most of all be consistent. If you call a loose game at the beginning you can't tighten up at the end, or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 1:16 pm

I don't agree that a team should be responsible for it's fans. What's to keep some people from another school going to a game and being stupid just to get calls made on a team they don't like?

Fans will always be unhappy, it's just the nature of sports. As a ref you should just ignore them, keep your focus on what's happening on the field and the benches.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 1:43 pm

SiouxLax wrote:
I don't agree that a team should be responsible for it's fans. What's to keep some people from another school going to a game and being stupid just to get calls made on a team they don't like?

Fans will always be unhappy, it's just the nature of sports. As a ref you should just ignore them, keep your focus on what's happening on the field and the benches.
Well the way I've always done it is I'll go to the coach I believe the person to be a fan of (sometimes there's just someone general yelling you suck) and ask them to calm them down. Usually the coach will know them. If the coach doesn't know him, and the opposing coach doesn't know him, then to me it is the home team's responsibility to remove them from the premises or quiet them down. Yes as a ref you should ignore them, but there are times where action is necessary (like when it's not necessarily directed at you but at players).
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 pm

i reffed youth lacrosse last year, and rarely had problems with spectators. i think once i had a problem with one parent, but other than that, it was always a good time. i reffed quite a few youth SP games too, like a bunch.
Back to top Go down
FOGO_FTW
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyThu May 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Butters wrote:
Sun Prairie and Stoughton are both historically the two worst for fans from my experience. Although Stoughton fans it seemed it was only when the team struggled, Sun Prairie fans are pretty consistently upset with everything. As a spectator, Verona fans are pretty bad (I've never reffed Verona as I played for them). Regardless though I've been in some pretty crappy situations reffing lacrosse with coaches/fans/players, but it's still nothing compared to some of the stuff that happened as a hockey ref. As SpLax said take control, but most of all be consistent. If you call a loose game at the beginning you can't tighten up at the end, or vice versa.
Ok stoughton fans are bad because of the calls.
This year stoughton has had some bad refs we have only had about 3 games with good refs.
Sauk Prairie had to be the worst though the refs literally wouldn't call anything (slash, head, push from behind) its been bad...
I am not blaming our season on the refs but they have had an influence on games.
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyThu May 14, 2009 10:49 pm

FOGO_FTW wrote:

This year stoughton has had some bad refs we have only had about 3 games with good refs.
Sauk Prairie had to be the worst though the refs literally wouldn't call anything (slash, head, push from behind) its been bad...
I am not blaming our season on the refs but they have had an influence on games.

FOGO, who are you? First off, the reffing at all the Stoughton games has been phenomenal. And I've been to every one. Sure, they miss a few calls here and there but what ref doesn't? If they don't see it, they can't call it. Second of all, I'd like to see you try it. I tried it once and I learned the crap a ref gets and all the frustration he/she gets from fans yelling when they know nothing about a game. The only time you can say bad ref is when Flanders or O' Brien were reffing the game.

Also, what game was this were the Stoughton fans were bad? I have yet to see it. Only the head coach complains like a sissy girl.

Last edited by Nate on Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
FOGO_FTW
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyFri May 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Nate wrote:
FOGO_FTW wrote:

FOGO, who are you? First off, the reffing at all the Stoughton games has been phenomenal. And I've been to every one. Sure, they miss a few calls here and there but what ref doesn't? If they don't see it, they can't call it. Second of all, I'd like to see you try it. I tried it once and I learned the crap a ref gets and all the frustration he/she gets from fans yelling when they know nothing about a game. The only time you can say bad ref is when Flanders or O' Brien were reffing the game.

Also, what game was this were the Stoughton fans were bad? I have yet to see it. Only the head coach complains like a sissy girl.

Jeff I have been dillusional lately so dont listen to me haha =)
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyFri May 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Dude you are a high school male. Quit with all the smiley faces!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
FOGO_FTW
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got EmptyFri May 15, 2009 5:38 pm

haha ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reffing stuff.. email I just got   Reffing stuff.. email I just got Empty

Back to top Go down

Reffing stuff.. email I just got
Page 1 of 1