Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most useful dodge for attack?

Go down 
+7
tidbits
Keeper33
krks34
RiDE
Jaron
SiouxLax
HockeyandLax
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HockeyandLax
Freshman
Freshman
HockeyandLax

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Most useful dodge for attack? Empty
PostSubject: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyMon May 21, 2007 7:43 pm

I usually just stick to face dodge but it's gettin old Sad and was wondering what others are useful..
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyMon May 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Rolling is key for attack. When a defender bodies up on you rolling off him is very effective. Also when your at GLE an inside roll would get the job done if you do it right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyMon May 21, 2007 9:00 pm

A question mark dodge is EASILY the most effective dodge when coming from behind, there is virtually no way to defend it and if done right it is a quick effective way to get your hands free.
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyMon May 21, 2007 9:13 pm

i like throwing split dodges, but it seems like i never get a chance to do it ingame. i did it a lot in indoor, i just felt more comfortable attacking the cage there i guess.

but Wanakey (sp) #16 can tell you how usefull rolls are, i think he did like 3 short of a hundred of them today.
Back to top Go down
krks34
JV
JV
krks34

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyMon May 21, 2007 10:09 pm

The inside roll is an effective dodge. I think it works best from X
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 7:46 am

just remember you need to keep your feet on an inside roll becase otherwise you fall into the crease or will have the goalie have an easy time smothing your shot
Back to top Go down
krks34
JV
JV
krks34

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 4:15 pm

thats not true, if you do an inside roll from X, you should be about 2 or three yards from crease and then if you fall it won't really matter about crease violation, but faking the goalie out is a whole other element to scoring
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyThu May 24, 2007 10:24 pm

krks34 wrote:
thats not true, if you do an inside roll from X, you should be about 2 or three yards from crease and then if you fall it won't really matter about crease violation, but faking the goalie out is a whole other element to scoring

You better be able to fake out the goalie in the first fake because if you get a second one off you got lucky or the D just screwed up bigger than letting you 1v1 with the goalie
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyThu May 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Or you're that good. Besides, doorstep fakes are irrelevant, people just need to place shots instead of always thinking they have to go over goalies. Doesn't work when I'm 6'3"
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyFri May 25, 2007 6:45 pm

The Butters wrote:
Or you're that good. Besides, doorstep fakes are irrelevant, people just need to place shots instead of always thinking they have to go over goalies. Doesn't work when I'm 6'3"

haha same here 6'4" and lovin those dunk attempts b/c they are the easiest 1v1 saves to make
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyFri May 25, 2007 7:20 pm

so just shoot instead of trying to throw fakes on the crease? im guessing cause you dont usually have time to throw tons of them?
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyFri May 25, 2007 8:19 pm

One good fake is all you need. Fake high finish low or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyFri May 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Eclipse wrote:
One good fake is all you need. Fake high finish low or vice versa.

NO!!! gasp how could you tell these undisciplined shooters that you just made my job that much more difficult.

btw weakside tends to work best
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySat May 26, 2007 2:20 am

Honestly, you don't have to fake high most the time, a good high to low shot will get the job done. I made my living off those guys who ripped side arm shots or shot high, it was like playing catch. Lindheim should know what I'm talkin'bout.
Back to top Go down
tidbits
JV
JV
tidbits

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 12:47 pm

What I really hate trying to block are those submarine shots from up top
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Those are the easiest shots for the goalie to pick up.
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 1:48 pm

does that mean a shot out of a submarine dodge? or a low to low or something? scratch i dont get it
Back to top Go down
tidbits
JV
JV
tidbits

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 11:46 pm

those are the underhand shots. I hate them because i play defense and those go right into your shins. sorry i might call things by the wrong name, i just started playing this year just like everybody else on my team so i'm a bit geek when it comes to lacrosse. also, when the attackmen shoot normal i can just lift their bottom hand with the head of my stick and screw them up, can't do much against underhand
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySun Jun 03, 2007 12:08 am

assuming you have good defensive position because hes hitting you in the shins, a few good stick checks to the hands might mess up his shot. idk thats what i would do i think.
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySun Jun 03, 2007 10:21 am

tidbits wrote:
those are the underhand shots. I hate them because i play defense and those go right into your shins. sorry i might call things by the wrong name, i just started playing this year just like everybody else on my team so i'm a bit geek when it comes to lacrosse. also, when the attackmen shoot normal i can just lift their bottom hand with the head of my stick and screw them up, can't do much against underhand

against underhand shots you just got to poke at their hands. also you could try to push their hand down (the one on the end of the shaft)
Back to top Go down
tidbits
JV
JV
tidbits

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptySun Jun 03, 2007 10:45 am

thanks, i'll try that, i need all the help i can get
Back to top Go down
KevinBice
Freshman
Freshman
KevinBice

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 pm

I've got a feeling this is going to be a long-winded response, like I have a knack of doing, but hopefully it will answer your question.

Different dodges work better for different people, and it depends on a) where you're dodging from, b) your size and c) your strengths as a player.

Split dodges - best dodge for a midfielder to use, can be useful for attackmen. I almost always initiate a dodge combo with a split dodge because it allows me to keep my shoulders squared up to the field and see things developing, and gives me a sense for whether or not I get a step on my defender. In high school, a good split dodge will beat almost any defender. For bigger attackmen (like myself), a split dodge is always effective if you SUSTAIN your dodge. After the initial split, put your shoulder into your defender and continue to drive. The slide will usually come after a couple steps, leaving you a wide open adjacent teammate.

Roll Dodges - It's hard to set up a straight roll dodge...usually, they come after a split or face dodge where you can't beat your defender. The best way to set up a roll dodge is to make your initial dodge, then wait for your defender to commit to a hip push. As he pushes your hips, roll right off his stick the other way - he'll be caught with all his weight unbalanced and you will get a step on him.

Face Dodges - Not very effective dodge because it doesn't force your defender to move his feet, just plant and push against you. Face dodges are only truly effective if your defenseman is out of position. The only time I use a face dodge is if a teammate is dodging, then passes the ball to me where I can catch it loaded (in a wind-up, threatening to shoot). As my defenseman charges at me, he assumes I'm shooting and will lower his head, and usually charge at my upfield shoulder so he doesn't get hit by the shot. As he breaks down in front of me, I face dodge bottom side and beat him. The problem here is that you have to leave yourself an angle for the shot after the dodge.

Hesitation dodges - By this I mean hitching, hard stepping, or any sort of a stutter step. This is the best way to get your hands free to feed, and to keep your defenseman constantly worried. If you are fast/quick enough, this will undoubtedly be your best dodge as an attackman. Take your defender behind the cage, drop to a one-handed cradle, and bust some hesitation dodges on him, making sure to keep your head turned upfield looking for the open man. Once your defenseman has timed your cradle, throw in a roll dodge and drive the backside of the cage.

As for defending any of these moves, I can say that the most effective check a defenseman can throw is a lift. All you need to do is get your stick under his hands and lift, and he won't be able to pass or shoot accurately. If your team threw nothing except lift checks, you'd likely be one of the best defensive teams in the state. I teach my middies to defend a dodge by giving one hip push and then immediately going for a lift and sustaining that lift until the slide gets there. A good lift can stop even the best lacrosse players.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minnesotalacrosse.org
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 11:18 pm

while performing this hesitation dodge, dont run on the same plane, it will free your hands up for sure.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 11:26 am

Good advice, Kev.

And for defensemen, the lift is DEFINITELY the best check to know...not the most glorious, but it'll save you from getting walked all over by the likes of Kevin Bice.
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 3:15 pm

it is also the best check for shortstick d middies, especially if your man gets past you. He wont get a good shot off with his bottom hand being lifted.

edit: best stick check
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most useful dodge for attack?   Most useful dodge for attack? Empty

Back to top Go down

Most useful dodge for attack?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next