Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Modifying gloves

Go down 
+7
krks34
DwinsChamps
Keeper33
Nate
SiouxLax
Lefty019
RiDE
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2007-05-11

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 10:42 am

i was thinking i could improve my gloves by adding little dots of liquid rubber to the palms and fingers. This stuff is a lot like glue, except instead of spreading out, it maintains the "bead" shape, while it dries. ive seen it work on my paintball gloves, and i was just wondering if it would be legal to play with them, or is there some rule about modifying htem?
Back to top Go down
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-05-13

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 10:51 am

I'm not positive but that sounds illegal i think that refs look for that kind of stuff when they do stick checks that is why they ask to see your gloves
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 10:52 am

i thought they were looking to see if there were any holes cut in the palms?
Back to top Go down
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 10:54 am

not sure but i would think they would be looking for modifications also
Back to top Go down
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:31 am

Butters would know
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:49 am

You cant modify your equipment so as where it gives you an unfair advantage. Hence putting anything on your gloves to make them sticky is illegal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 2:59 pm

i think ill put it on my stick then, on the grip tape. if tape on sticks is legal, ruberized tape should be too?
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Unless a ref checks it and thinks that it creates an unfair advantage. I have never been a fan of tape on the shaft of a stick...I also don't see why you need more grip. I've never have had a problem of a stick coming out of my hands becaues its slippery, not even in rain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Yeah Nate.. the grip on your stick it fine. If anything try a new pair of gloves. When I was using your stick it was just fine for me. But people have different preferances. If you want more grip on the stick, why don't you re-tape your stick bu do the whole thing with a spiral. I did it once. Honestly, I didn't like it because too much grip for me but I think you might.

And you never really get stick checked or anything so there isn't much to worry about for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Lol, yeah didn't you say your gloves were really old anyways
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 7:43 pm

yea ive had these gloves since i started playing, there definatly getting old.

also, its not that it comes out of my hands, its that i lose my grip when im carrying the ball, and then dump it and look like a retard. hasnt happened in a game yet, but when im just messing around with it, it has. i dont really trust my grip so i dont give it a chance to fail in game, just by not trying anything risky

100posts!
Back to top Go down
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 9:26 pm

I would say just get some new gloves
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

Number of posts : 159

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 10:23 pm

lol taping your stick is cheaper that is what i would do. Although i have never had a problem with a slippery stick but then again it is preference.
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySat May 26, 2007 10:58 pm

looks like someone beat me to it http://www.lacrosseforums.com/showthread.php?postid=440031#poststop
Back to top Go down
The Butt

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 12:09 am

I would call it illegal equipment. You should buy new gloves. Your gloves can not be modified at all, they're supposed to be worn as is. Technically if you cut your wrist cuffs, it's supposed to be illegal. I for one would let something such as that slide, but the rubber on gloves, no way too blatant. On the stick it depends how you do it. If you covered it with tape, legal. If it was on top of said tape, illegal. Under tape is just a way to have a different textured grip, you can get that by using sharkskin or diamond shafts. But on top of it gives you a rubberized texture not able to be gained by even sticks such as harrows.
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 1:19 am

nate just get sume superflys. they work for me... so they wiill work for you. But get the likited edition... well trade one glove. it will be tyte.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 12:44 pm

with this ticket, and paying for camps, i dont think im gunna have any money for a while.

hey butters, if i made an endcap out of it, would that be legal? kinda like the tutorial in that link.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 12:50 pm

It would depend on the finished product. Looking at how they did it, that seems legit to me. But they also did just a butt end. If you're looking at doing a significant portion of your stick then it starts coming to not only a problem for you, because that undoubtedly adds weight to your shaft, but then I have to start thinking of whether that weight makes your stick dangerous. For instance I wouldn't allow a warrior training handle to be used in a game.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 1:58 pm

...why not? As long as the stick meets dimension requirements, it should be legal.

We're allowed to use hickory wood poles...that might as well be a Powermaster.
Back to top Go down
krks34
JV
JV
krks34

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-05-16

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 2:01 pm

you understand that the hickory shafts have a little bit of give to them right? the Powermaster is pretty much just a lead bar, that if you nit something, it wont bend.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 2:08 pm

Yes, I do understand the dynamics of metal vs. wood.

If you notice Butters' post, he mentions nothing of "give", only of weight. Besides, are you implying that an injury can only be caused by something that doesn't bend?
Back to top Go down
krks34
JV
JV
krks34

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-05-16

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 2:26 pm

thats not what im trying to imply. i understand that you can be hurt by other things but the chance that you get hurt by a power master is greater than the chance you get hurt by any other shaft because of the density.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 3:01 pm

It's an interesting argument, and a judgement call on that basis. If he were to rubberize his shaft, thats a modification, thus illegal. If he were to use a training handle, I would infer that the reason it's called a training handle is because it's not intended for game use. Besides, wood can be very flexible too, and flexibility has no matter on whether injury is incurred. It's the force behind it. The reason I would call it illegal, is because we're taught to consider it a slash if the force of the blow would have caused pain on contact. A warrior training handle would inflict pain with just about anything.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 3:03 pm

So now you're talking about density, not "give"? I agree that the heavier the stick, the more likely it is to inflict injury. That said, alot of wood poles are just about as dense as the Powermaster.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see the passage in the rulebook that condemns using a stick that's beyond a certain mass. If it's not in the rulebook, than no ref should be able to disallow the use of a heavy stick, and any such decision to do so would be invalid and a breach of the ref's jurisdiction.

I can't wait to take my titan classic, fill it with sand, and use it at Brewtown. Gonna snap me some wrists.

And P.S......it's called a "training handle" for marketing purposes.

And P.P.S......Butters, the way you're taught to determine a slash sounds like Sid Flanders' logic. Do you think that any of the checks that were being thrown in the semifinals yesterday DIDN'T hurt? They looked violent to me; I don't remember a single slash being called.

Last edited by on Sun May 27, 2007 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves EmptySun May 27, 2007 3:04 pm

it seems to me that stx can modify there heads, shafts, whatever all they want (example. crankshaft.... head with rubberband (whatever its called) etc. ) they claim "the advantage is undeniable") why do large corporations have the right to be creative and players dont?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Modifying gloves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modifying gloves   Modifying gloves Empty

Back to top Go down

Modifying gloves
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next