Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility

Go down 
+7
MUHS #30
northshorelax37
mikeymo1923
krks34
Jack
Lefty019
JordanEC23
11 posters
AuthorMessage
The Butt

Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility Empty
PostSubject: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Right choice by the NCAA in my opinion. Everyone who says it's unfair to the competition doesn't realize how unfair it was to take away that season where they very easily could have won the title. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:25 pm

http://www.lax.com/stories/1863

Sorry, forgot to add the linkage.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:53 pm

Great news imo, Duke lacrosse is awesome. cheers But honestly, I don't think anyone thought they'd actually get that eligibility back, even John Danowski was quoted saying he doesn't think they'll get it, but why not try anyways. And obviously the latter part payed off. I wonder if this means we'll see Matt and a few others back?

I do feel bad though for their competition, it seems slightly unfair, but then again Duke is the one who had the shaft.
Back to top Go down
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:56 pm

i think thats the least they could do after going through that whole ordeal
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 4:09 pm

i realy hope danowski comes back... i'd love to see him in person 2 years in a row right warrior Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
krks34
JV
JV
krks34

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 4:13 pm

i just have to say that the NCAA didnt cancel the season, but im still glad to see them getting that year of eligability back. as much as i don't like duke, they have an awesome team.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 4:58 pm

During both of Duke's games it was pretty intense with Danowski and his couple picks and then his 1v1 domination over Schwartzman, who I dislike.
Back to top Go down
mikeymo1923
Rookie
Rookie
mikeymo1923

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 7:58 pm

I am also happy to hear this. Good job by the NCAA on making the right move. Having Greer and Danowski back on the field makes good odds for Duke to put up a great fight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.uwec.edu/menslax
northshorelax37
Freshman
Freshman
northshorelax37

Number of posts : 68

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm glad they're doin this. the Duke players deserve it. imagine how devasting the danowski greer combo will be if danowski comes back
Back to top Go down
MUHS #30
JV
JV
MUHS #30

Number of posts : 216

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 10:27 pm

wait, they're giving everyone one more year and the NCAA is cool with that?
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 10:42 pm

the ncaa granted the year to the players.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
MUHS #30
JV
JV
MUHS #30

Number of posts : 216

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyWed May 30, 2007 10:44 pm

saweet. sunny
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 12:16 am

wow, i'm part surprised, part shocked and part happy for the players. It'll be interesting to see who will take advantage of this opportunity....

Danowski fans shouldnt get too excited--they must have said he's starting on wall street 2 dozen times during the tournament weekend.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 1:43 am

I'm still hoping he'll somehow play and go onto grad school? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 2:31 pm

Warriorlax23 wrote:
I'm still hoping he'll somehow play and go onto grad school? Crying or Very sad

I think everyone hopes for that
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 3:08 pm

The NCAA's decision to grant an extra year of eligibility to Duke laxers was, in my opinion, a mistake.

Let it be known that I am personally happy for the Duke players who received the extra year...BUT...the NCAA has given Duke an incredible advantage in the future.

A 5th year for an entire class for the next three years is huge -- more mature, more developed, stronger, faster, older, wiser players, etc. Huge advantage when applied to an entire class, and not to one or two injured athletes given a waiver.

In addition, this waiver for the current sophomore, junior and senior classes also gives Duke 5 recruiting classes for the next three years vs. just four recruiting clases for every other school. Let's face it, while all players can transfer, most won't transfer. They will design their course work to graduate in 5 years or attend graduate school at Duke. The NCAA gave Duke a huge competitive advantage by granting Duke 5 full recuititng classes from which to field its team for the next three years.

This decision was not thought through. This decision reflects the same rush to judgment mentality that caused Duke to screw up in the first place. These young men sufferred and suffered greatly because of what Duke did and what its professors did, and they deserve compensation from Duke, but not from the NCAA and not in the form of a competitive advantage.

Keep in mind, it was DUKE...NOT THE NCAA who cancelled the season and "fired" Pressler. The NCAA was incorrect to grant the team extra eligibility. This is precisely what Coach Danowski had in mind when he said it was unlikely for the NCAA to grant extra eligibility.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 3:16 pm

So violent Mike.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 5:49 pm

DwinsChamps wrote:
The NCAA's decision to grant an extra year of eligibility to Duke laxers was, in my opinion, a mistake.

Let it be known that I am personally happy for the Duke players who received the extra year...BUT...the NCAA has given Duke an incredible advantage in the future.

A 5th year for an entire class for the next three years is huge -- more mature, more developed, stronger, faster, older, wiser players, etc. Huge advantage when applied to an entire class, and not to one or two injured athletes given a waiver.

In addition, this waiver for the current sophomore, junior and senior classes also gives Duke 5 recruiting classes for the next three years vs. just four recruiting clases for every other school. Let's face it, while all players can transfer, most won't transfer. They will design their course work to graduate in 5 years or attend graduate school at Duke. The NCAA gave Duke a huge competitive advantage by granting Duke 5 full recuititng classes from which to field its team for the next three years.

This decision was not thought through. This decision reflects the same rush to judgment mentality that caused Duke to screw up in the first place. These young men sufferred and suffered greatly because of what Duke did and what its professors did, and they deserve compensation from Duke, but not from the NCAA and not in the form of a competitive advantage.

Keep in mind, it was DUKE...NOT THE NCAA who cancelled the season and "fired" Pressler. The NCAA was incorrect to grant the team extra eligibility. This is precisely what Coach Danowski had in mind when he said it was unlikely for the NCAA to grant extra eligibility.

You have to consider that according to this article http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=919500 "The NCAA said it considered several factors, including unanimous support from the presidents of the Atlantic Coast Conference universities, according to a news release."
Back to top Go down
AlexPanosian
Rookie
Rookie
AlexPanosian

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 6:59 pm

Dwins, I agree with everything you said. While I can agree that what Duke went through last year was a great injustice, I can not believe this decision. They played around 50% of their season, while they missed out on the opportunity to play for a championship it was Duke University's fault not that of the NCAA. The NCAA is cleaning up for Duke's mistake. Sure it was supported by the ACC presidents, but can you imagine the PR issues for that school if one of the presidents of Maryland/UVA/UNC would not support this. Finally, regarding this decision being rushed, with the MLL draft today they had to resolve the issue before Duke's seniors registered for the draft making them ineligible for future NCAA competition and thus the NCAA's ruling on this matter a moot point. Like you said, rushed decisions are not a good thing.
This is a great thing for the players, and there is no question they have been through alot; however, my fear is that this will effect the parody in D1 lacrosse for years to come.

P.S. Dwins, I love that Dali painting, I have a print of it in my room.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptyThu May 31, 2007 10:04 pm

As a high ranking official in the ACC conference, I would hope you'd have enough backbone to defend your opinion if you believe it a valid one, whether you think you will have poor PR for a month or two should be irrelavent.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 9:54 am

Well but think of it this way, what if your opinion wasn't what's best for the school, but what was best for a select group of kids. Then no you shouldn't defend your opinion, as a high ranking official as you're suggesting they should be looking out for the best interest of the school first and always. I understand how this will effect lacrosse for the next 4 years, and most specifically Duke's next recruiting class. But for me, the key factor to this, was the fact that all of the ACC schools approved it. If Duke's direct competition is ok with that, then hell I don't see why we or anyone else should complain.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 11:17 am

That's what I'm saying, or I meant to say. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Ahh, well it was early when I read it. So then yes I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility   Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility Empty

Back to top Go down

Duke Players Granted Year of Eligibility
Page 1 of 1