Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Experience at the Championships.

Go down 
+5
Nate
JordanEC23
bigpattyboy36
Lefty019
Jack
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2007-05-11

My Experience at the Championships. Empty
PostSubject: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 12:13 pm

Back during spring break me and a bunch of dudes from the UWM lacrosse team decided we were going to order tickets for the 2007 NCAA Lacrosse Championships in Baltimore, MD. I went ahead and got a hotel reservation for Saturday and Sunday nights at the Ramada Inn at Towson University, and ordered four tickets for the five game weekend of lacrosse. After waiting about a month, our ticket sets came. (See Picture, I’ll explain the autographs later.)

I was immediately stoked about the tickets coming and started researching stuff to do the weekend of the tournament (which, by the way, is pronounced ‘tore-nuh-ment’ while in Baltimore). I learned about cool stuff such as the Lacrosse Hall of Fame, the inner harbor, the ESPN Zone, Hard Rock Café, Camden Yards and other historical things like the holocaust museum. We planned to get to as much of this stuff as possible while out in B-More,.

As some of you know, last week I went to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina with some buddies and went to the beach all day, saw some sights, etc. The day I got back from MBSC, me and my teammates (Andy Nelson-Middleton, Clay Tibbetts-Lafollette and Andrew Showers-Lafollette) left at 6 am for Maryland. Granted, it was pretty early, we were all so excited for that much lacrosse that we really couldn’t sleep on the way there. The talk of the car ride was pretty much all lacrosse based.

Knowing we didn’t have anywhere to stay Friday night we decided to take our time getting out to Baltimore and see some sights on the way. We stopped at Comiskey Park (Where the White Sox play) and checked out what it was all about. Once we got into Indiana we knew we’d be pretty bored, so we stopped at Notre Dame and saw all the cool stuff there was to see (Football stadium, Big Statue, Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus, random other stuff) That was a pretty amazing experience, and when we first got there we saw a campus tour going on, which was led by a man playing the bagpipes in true Irish garb, kilt and all. As we walked around the campus we could hear the bagpipes ringing through all the buildings, which put goose bumps on our arms as we stared at the Giant Jesus Painting

After leaving ND, we made our way all the way through Ohio, through Pennsylvania, and into Maryland. When we were about 20 minutes outside of Baltimore we gave Ex-Boys Latin and Current Middleton player Nick Hummel a call, and asked if his brother was around Towson so we can hang out. Nick’s brother then gave us a call and told us how to get over to his place, because he was having some sort of party. I’ll mention this first now, because it was a great experience for me, but the hospitality expressed from the people of Baltimore was such a moving example of what people should really be like. We had never met Nick’s brother, and he just let us stay at his house that night, so we didn’t sleep in the car. We proceeded to wake up the next morning and drive down to M&T Bank Stadium. On the way there he took us by such famous lacrosse schools as Boys Latin and Gilman (Pictures). Being near such historic schools was pretty amazing. We even got some souvenirs from Boys Latin. Upon getting to the inner harbor area, and Camden Yards, we arrived at the Lacrosse festivities outside. Not wanting to spend any money, we used our set of tickets for autographs, and met such all-stars as Brent Bucktooth and (yes) Ryan Powell, who by the way, was the nicest person I’ve ever met, he loved the fact that we were from Milwaukee, loved the fact that I was number 22, was eager to ask about the car ride, eager to talk to us. Again, the hospitality on this trip was really moving. After meeting Ryan, we walked over to the mini lax field they had set up inside an inflatable soccer stadium, and the Powell’s did some goalie confusion with some little kids, and they called it ‘Pros vs. Joes’. When that ended, we met the other two Powell’s, and walked into the stadium.

Saturday’s games were Duke vs. Cornell, and Hopkins vs. Delaware. The actual games weren't even the most memorable part of the trip for us, as there was so much to take in, so I wont make it a focal point of this story. In the first game Duke was up by 7 goals at about halftime, and Cornell gave it a pretty good comeback run, tied it up with 9 seconds left and then Zach Greer put one home for Duke with 3 seconds left to win it. Everyone in the stadium was on there feet cheering, which was cool to see. Hopkins later beat Delaware in a somewhat unexciting game.

While exiting the stadium we met probably 10 different people who wanted to talk to us for being form Milwaukee, and they were amazed at the dedication we had to the sport for driving 14 hours in the car to watch lacrosse, a sport that they take for granted, but we are in love with. They, as with everyone else we met, were so nice, and excited to talk to us.

That night we went with Nick’s brother to his friend’s birthday party at his parent’s house. The parents bought this guy 3 kegs, about 50 cases, about 300 dollars worth of crabs, burgers, brats, chips, soda etc etc etc… The guys who were friends with the birthday boy, sat all us Wisconsin guys down at the table and took about 20 minutes each to teach us how to eat crabs. (Hospitality). There was 2 beer pong tables set up and when we got to the back yard, this guy was happy to meet us, and invited us right in to his 21st birthday party with his family, and lifelong friends. Being treated like best friends by a guy I just met was a really memorable experience. He had a lacrosse goal set up in his back yard, so we went and grabbed our sticks and started shooting around. Within ten minutes, there were 20 dudes back there playing a big lacrosse game in the backyard while barefoot. We were at a party, with people we didn’t know, playing lacrosse casually with people from all walks of life, who all played lacrosse. They really take the game for granted out there. When its so prominent, I probably would too, but the best part of the trip was the night we hung out at a cookout, playing lacrosse with firefighters, soldiers, journalists, and all the other professions that were represented. It was the most relaxing and fun thing I have honestly done in my entire life. That night we went back to Towson and cancelled our hotel reservations because Nate Hummel let us sleep at his house again. (Hospitality).

We woke up the next morning and went back down to the stadium to see the Salisbury vs. Cortland State game and the LeMoyne vs. Mercyhurst game. Salisbury killed Cortland, and LeMoyne Mercyhurst ended with a last second goal by the Dolphins. Again, the games weren't even the most memorable part of the wholet rip.

That night, we kept our car in the parking where we left it, and checked out the inner harbor. We walked down to ‘LaxFest’, but it was closed, so we just checked out all the cool boats in the harbor, and tried to get into ESPNZone. The wait was 3 hours so we walked next door to Hard Rock and saw a bunch of the players from Cortland. The food was awesome, and the waitress was eager to tell us about the cool sights in Baltimore, and tell us where the coolest views are. (Hospitality). We then got a hotel about a block from the stadium and posted up in the holiday inn for the night and just chilled in the A/C (it was like 95 all weekend).

After our first good night of sleep in big nice warm beds, we walked down to the lacrosse festivities and saw the Powell’s again, and talked with Ryan again, saw them playing with some little kids again etc etc. We then walked down to the speed shot booth and tested our shots. I threw 70 (yeah tell me about it, but whatever, I was second on our team in points this year, and second in goals so GET OFF ME), Andy threw 81, Showers through 75, and clay threw 86. We went back down to the Brine tent and got some goodies from the Brine Pro’s. (Pics). (Hospitality).

Championship game came and went, Duke lost, we didn’t really mind, because of how amazing the weekend was. I ended up with 6 different tournament t-shirts (3 of them I got from a homeless man for a total of 10 dollars), about 15 posters, one signed by Bucktooth, one signed by Salisbury’s whole team, and a bunch of others, a blue brine wristband, a bunch of neck lanyards with those little plastic ticket holders connected, a pair of brand new Duke King Gloves, a pair of Cornell King’s, a brand new scandium swizzle, a ticket stub set signed by some of the best players ever to play, and a bunch of the best memories I’ve had in my 19 years. If anyone reading this is even REMOTELY thinking about making the trip to the national championships next year, or any year, I DEMAND THAT YOU DO IT. I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT, and me and my friends are definitely going next year, if anyone’s interested in coming. Thanks for reading this guys, I just really wanted to share my experience with you. The best time of my life, without a doubt, and I promise it will be the same for you.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_10943f7
Golden Dome as you enter campus at Notre Dame.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_109560f
Campus tour for prospective students, led by a bagpiper.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1097281
Showers and Clay looking at the Notre Dame Football Stadium.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1104e7d
Showers, Andy and Clay with Touchdown Jesus. I know its sideways, but i've been trying to post this thread for a few days and it keeps closing, so im not gonna change it.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1131866
Hangin out at Nate Hummel's house.

Me and Clay with a guy who we thought looked like a mix of Nicolas Cage and a guy from our UWM team.
My Experience at the Championships. IMG_11358ed
Me and Clay with a guy who we thought looked like a mix of Nicolas Cage and a guy from our UWM team.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1139c6f
Me at Boys Latin

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1143863
Sign at Gilman's Lax field

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_11464e1
Oriole Park at Camden Yards, same block as M&T Bank Stadium

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1148ca1
3 story high ESPN U sign that was assembled in New Berlin, WI and covered in lacrosse gear

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1150c58
me with Ryan Powell

My Experience at the Championships. Photo_33c17
my tickets signed by all the players

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1151fbe
on the way to the stadium for the first 2 games

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1152956
Delaware vs Hopkins

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1160898
Duke vs Cornell (Great game)

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1162c43
Mike Powell's band, they were pretty good, they kinda reminded me of something like Phish.

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1162c43
Powell's doing some goalie confusion... kid is looking the wrong way, casey (or ryan, i cant tell from the small pic) still has the ball

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_11819db
us at the d3 championship

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1182bdc
LEMOYNE WINS!

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_11830f8
after the 2nd day, at come crazy fountain thing on the inner harbor

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_11884fb
on chesapeake bay

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1192c39
ESPN Zone

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_11997aa
Game i played with showers, he beat me by 2 freakin points

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1208740
trying to see the powell stuff?

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1210dfd
us with neal goldman, who gave us our gear for free

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_12174c9
showers pumped about his brand new cornell gloves

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1244f3b
score with 40 secs left in championship game

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_125161e
Hopkins wins

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_12578a1
Duke leaving the field

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1260963
Greer leaving

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1264323
Danowski leaving

My Experience at the Championships. IMG_1272189
tell me thats not a funny name for a town... i like to imagine an exclamation mark inbetween the first o and the c

Last edited by on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 12:15 pm

let me just say how jealous i am
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 12:20 pm

how jealous are you? lol
Back to top Go down
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 12:23 pm

i can't put it into words
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 pm

okay when i first started reading this post i was like "oh great let's listen to our moderator brag about the championship weekend" and then i kept reading. It sounds like you had one helluva good time. if i didnt have to graduate that weekend god knows i would've been in baltimore. you are one lucky piece of work for snagging those gloves, although i'd rather have the Cornell ones, the duke ones are supreme.

who all signed that ticket? and whose the bro in the BoysLatin shirt?

is the tournament always over labor day weekend? b/c i'm thinking i might want to grab hotel reservations now....
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 2:09 pm

i wasn't bragging, i was sharing my experience with all you guys who weren't able to make it... i think everyone should experience the weekend at least once, if u play lacrosse... and i guess it was my way of 'selling' the trip to you...

the ticket was signed by Ryan Powell (Syracuse, San Fransisco Dragons), Brett Bucktooth (Syracuse, Boston Cannons), Chris Passavia (Maryland, Boston Cannons), and Nate Evans (LeMoyne, Boston Cannons)

the tourney is always labor day yes, i'm going wiht a big group next year
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 6:45 pm

I believe you mean Memorial Day, and yes that tournament was also one of my best times in a longgg time, it was bomb!
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:17 pm

I'd say i'm very jealous. Like Lefty, i can't explain how jealous I am lol. But anyways.. I deff. wanna go next year. How much overall did it cost to go? Like tickets and everything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:26 pm

250 a person, but its gonna cost more next yr cuz we're splurging on a hotel and bus ride/air fare
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:35 pm

That isn't bad at all. And all that stuff you mentioned you got was for free? Or did I just misunderstand. But hell.. if I don't get people to tag along with me next year you you guys care if a crappy Stoughton kid tagged along?
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:42 pm

u seem cool enuf haha, yeah im sure u'll hear aobut the the trip, if we need ppl to fill the bus ur welcome to come, we're probably taking our channel 4 team to play some games on the way out there against different teams in ohio, penn etc, but u can probably tag along, ill keep u updated as it gets closer, or u can talk to me on aim or f-book
Back to top Go down
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Hellz mayne, Ill come from Kansas next year and meet up with some Wisconsin brahs and hit up that. That would be nice. Maybe if Im still in contact we will have to do so.
Back to top Go down
mikeymo1923
Rookie
Rookie
mikeymo1923

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:55 pm

I would definetly be in. My good friend Jordan aka Warrior23 went out and I am very jealous. I would love to go and am planning on getting off that weekend. I think for the money it is well worth it as you said and there probably will never be an experience like that again. I cannot wait to go next year. Does anyone else know where it will be next year? If there are more details on playing while out there or anything keep in touch. I know its a year away and we say this now but I wouldn't change my mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.uwec.edu/menslax
krks34
JV
JV
krks34

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 10:57 pm

wish i coulda gone this year. i also wish i could go next year but my sister is gettin married some time around there so i gotta be home. but the wedding should be a good time too
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 11:06 pm

It's in Foxborough(sp), Mass,(suburb of Boston), and tickets got jacked up around 15bucks I believe, but I would easily drop money for that weekend.
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyMon Jun 04, 2007 11:12 pm

I'd have to say i'm looking forward to it. Hopefully there's a spot for One eyed Tony and I to tag along. It would also be exciting watching the Channel 4 News Team tear apart teams from Penn. and Ohio.

But as for the location I think they said it was going to be somewhere in Pennsylvania.. but i'm not too sure on that one. It's either next year or the year after that. I know the city starts with an F.. wither in Penn. or Mass.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 12:01 am

Foxborough, Massachussets, where the Patriots play.
Back to top Go down
zack attack 12
JV
JV
zack attack 12

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyThu Jun 07, 2007 10:05 pm

jack i hope you will be wearing those brand new duke shiners with the channel four news team...so i can snag a look at em

and let me know if you are doing a trip next year im down...
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyThu Jun 07, 2007 10:27 pm

i'll have them with me, idk if i'll ever wear them... are u goin to the state championship? you'll see us with our shirts on if you go... we'll have our red shirts on with the logo thats on the top of the screen... maybe i'll bring my gloves with me.
Back to top Go down
zack attack 12
JV
JV
zack attack 12

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 2:16 am

yeah i will be coaching MUHS i will see you boys there though, sad day we didn't get to play middleton the on wednesday
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Experience at the Championships.   My Experience at the Championships. Empty

Back to top Go down

My Experience at the Championships.
Page 1 of 1