Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette

Go down 
+2
JRM1369
DwinsChamps
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette Empty
PostSubject: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:30 pm

UMD - 25 , Marquette - 2

I saw this game last night. Gotta say Marquette looks much improved from what I remember last year: more athletic, more intuitive defense, better ball handling all around, lots of numbers, plus some key freshman additions. It's tough against Duluth's shooters, but MU's goalie play has to be a concern.

Duluth came out fast and mean, maybe the most athletic they have ever been. Good play from Andrew Straus (Bill's bro) at LSM, and others, seemed to lessen the impact of Nesser (All-America) being sidelined to injury, although he is irreplaceable. Seems UMD's question marks inlays in which of their young super athletes will step up and carve out PT for themselves, and if the goalie play will be an issue against a very tough out-of-conference schedule.

--
Patty Boy, you still laxin at Marquette? I wasn't sure if I could find you out there.

Last edited by DwinsChamps on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JRM1369
Rookie
Rookie
JRM1369

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:10 pm

I am a sophomore attackman for Marquette and I would agree pretty much with what you had to say. It was rough for us at the beginning because we have been practicing on a basketball court for the last two weeks and considering it was the opening game of the season against probably the toughest team on our schedule many of the guys were pretty nervous. I would say what killed us the most were gbs which are pretty hard to practice for on a bball court, allowed them to capitalize off poor positioning. Duluth came out and scored three quick goals and then we were able to get a good offensive possession and converted. I was hoping it would have calmed everyone down and we would be able to keep up but didnt happen.

Duluth was very athletic, had skilled players at all positions. Offense was able to possess and move the ball with ease. I would say they were much more physical then I remeber from last year a couple big hits on our guys. I would say there defense is very beatable though. Theyre big and kind of intimidating but you can beat them with speed and they now have a questionable goalie situation.
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:06 pm

DwinsChamps wrote:
UMD - 22 (or thereabouts) , Marquette - 2

--
Patty Boy, you still laxin at Marquette? I wasn't sure if I could find you out there.

yea, i'm still laxin at Marquette, but unfortunately, i have forced myself into a bit of an academic hole and thus i will be taking this season off to focus on my grades. so no, i wasn't on the field last night. It was a rather sad night in milwaukee(despite Marquette Basketball beating Georgetown), don't just stay in school kids... do well in school.

All of the reports i heard from the guys were pretty close to what JRM and Dwins have posted... it sounds like nerves definitely got the best of Marquette during the first half, and by half time(at which point it was like 15-1 duluth) it was too little too late.

but yea seriously, do well in school kids - it sucks not even being on the sideline....
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 6:50 pm

How is the duluths attitude? I've heard sometimes they can be....relentless to say the least.

Any other advice? I'm going up to watch the games in a few weeks, but am learning for basically anything I can get.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Jaron wrote:
How is the duluths attitude? I've heard sometimes they can be....relentless to say the least.

Any other advice? I'm going up to watch the games in a few weeks, but am learning for basically anything I can get.

Duluth seems more professional than I've ever seen them, no more "UMD What?" chants before faceoffs or excessive celebration after goals, just down-to-business play. They are absolutely still relentless, especially on gb's and riding at midfield. If you're a middie with poor field awareness, look the eff out.

I've got some good notes to share when you come to town.
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 2:35 am

Does Duluth still have that All American goalie? Or did he graduate?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
JRM1369
Rookie
Rookie
JRM1369

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 2:40 am

Graduated
Back to top Go down
nhg4life
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 1:19 pm

umd practices in a gym too...without coaches present for 9/10's of their season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette   UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette Empty

Back to top Go down

UMLL first game: Duluth v. Marquette
Page 1 of 1