Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most Underrated Players in '08

Go down 
+12
gbpackers12
Ron Mexico
Hummel18
Jack
Milw > Mad
Lax11
Coach_Goldberg
Nate
northshorelax37
thedamnedfan
SiouxLax
gfields5
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Most Underrated Players in '08 Empty
PostSubject: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

When reading through the posts, it becomes clear that there are a select group of players that seem to get more notoriety than the rest. I guess it is similar to what you see when discussing college lacrosse (For example, it is almost impossible to mention Johns Hopkins and then not hear Paul Rabil). While this is an inevitable occurance, I would like to dedicate this topic to all of those very talented players that maybe don't get the rep they deserve.

I'll throw a few names out there from the Milwaukee area for starters -- hopefully other people from MAYLA can add to the list, and players from MALA and Bay Val can chime in as well.

MAYLA - Most Underrated Players in 08
1. David Gebhardt (Marquette) - Sr. Defensemen - Voted Marquette's defensive MVP last year as a junior, Gebhardt is the rock on defense that consistently shuts down opposing teams top attackman.
2. Tom Casper (Marquette) - Sr. Middie - One of Marquette's senior captains this year, Casper has been one of Marquette's strongest offensive catalysts over the past few seasons. While he does not dodge much from the outside, his ability to put the ball in the net while playing on crease makes him extremely dangerous. Beware of his feeding abilities as well, as he is averaging near 2 assists a game for Marquette this season.
3. Pat McMinn (USM) - Sr. Attackman - Despite the fact that McMinn was named all-conference last season, he's a player that I'm sure many people haven't heard of before. He is a decent sized attackman that has great quickness around the cage.
4. Kyle Franzen (Eastside) - Sr. Middie - While overshadowed by all-star midfielder Joe Botticelli, Franzen provides Eastside with a strong offensive threat from the outside, as he has an absolute cannon. If people continue to focus solely on Botticelli, expect Franzen to put up big numbers.
5. Ben Gardner (Kettle Moraine) - Sr. LSM - Despite the fact that Gardner played goalie for part of last season and this summer for Milwaukee Select, Gardner has developed as one of the better long polls in the Milwaukee area. He is a big, agressive defender that likes to push the ball in transition. Beware of his face-off abilities as well.
6. Joe Brennan (Northshore) - LSM/D - I believe that he still plays for Northshore, but not positive. Brennan has been a brightspot for the past years for Northshore, as his aggressive defensive style has caused havoc for opposing midfielders.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 pm

From AHS: Jessie Frank. As a sophomore last year he had an excellent season. Multiple 3+ goal games. One of the best crease attack I have seen play. His catch and shoot is super fast and usually will result in a goal.

And I agree with you're #4 and #6, I can't comment on the rest because I haven't seen/don't remember seeing them play.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Number of posts : 799

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Zach Transue - Stoughton - #25 - Midfield - Junior
Underrated for the main fact that he is from Stoughton and they have yet to really output any major talent. Recognized for the first time his freshmen year, he mad MALA 2nd Team All-Conference in 2006. The strongest FO middie on the team, and usually has been a top scorer and point collector, strong on defense and is fast and physical when need be, being a hockey player as well.

Last edited by thedamnedfan on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
northshorelax37
Freshman
Freshman
northshorelax37

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 4:20 pm

gfields5 wrote:
6. Joe Brennan (Northshore) - LSM/D - I believe that he still plays for Northshore, but not positive. Brennan has been a brightspot for the past years for Northshore, as his aggressive defensive style has caused havoc for opposing midfielders.

Joe still plays for us. Hes been pretty solid in our practices thus far. well see how he does along with the rest of our team tomorrow for our first game v Kettle Moraine
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 7:47 pm

thedamnedfan wrote:
Zach Transue - Stoughton - #24 - Midfield - Junior
Underrated for the main fact that he is from Stoughton and they have yet to really output any major talent. Recognized for the first time his freshmen year, he mad MALA 2nd Team All-Conference in 2006. The strongest FO middie on the team, and usually has been a top scorer and point collector, strong on defense and is fast and physical when need be, being a hockey player as well.

He's number 25 and he has only lost 3 or so FO's this season.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
Coach_Goldberg
Freshman
Freshman
Coach_Goldberg

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 pm

I would have to say, being biased, that Middleton's d-poles are under-rated. No one, other than Middleton players, mention them. #45 David Utterback, especially. Maybe ask some of the people that were guarded by him.
Back to top Go down
Lax11
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Coach_Goldberg wrote:
I would have to say, being biased, that Middleton's d-poles are under-rated. No one, other than Middleton players, mention them. #45 David Utterback, especially. Maybe ask some of the people that were guarded by him.

I agree, i haven't seen any other d poles with better stick skills in the Madison area or even the Milwaukee area. They are able to control the ball like middies.
Back to top Go down
Milw > Mad
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Lax11 wrote:
Coach_Goldberg wrote:

I agree, i haven't seen any other d poles with better stick skills in the Madison area or even the Milwaukee area. They are able to control the ball like middies.

Then you haven't seen some real poles play. Milwaukee will own up on madison. Arrowhead, solid. Marquette, solid.
Back to top Go down
Lax11
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:37 pm

i've played against both teams. lol
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Lax11 wrote:

Who do you play for?

I'm excited to see Middleton play, because man people like to talk them up on here. I'm sure that they are good, so it'll be sweet when we play them on May 3rd under the lights in Middleton!
Back to top Go down
Lax11
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:57 pm

gfields5 wrote:
Lax11 wrote:

Who do you play for?

I'm excited to see Middleton play, because man people like to talk them up on here. I'm sure that they are good, so it'll be sweet when we play them on May 3rd under the lights in Middleton!

Waunakee, I see that you may have thought i was talking them up because i might be from there. But trully, they have some amazing stick skills.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 pm

This Milw > Mad kid is a cancer. He has been banned.

And to whoever made the comment that Top WI teams can hang with the Midwests best... I'm going to rain on that parade for a minute.

http://www.laxpower.com/update08/binboy/ratingmt.php

There isn't a Wisconsin team ranked in EVEN THE TOP 100 TEAMS IN THE MIDWEST. Wait til #1 in state Marquette gets their butts served to them on a silver platter by #2 in Missouri SLU Jesuit. I'm thinking 10 goal lead end of the first half, with SLU Jes. having over 75% of the possession.

Saint Louis Jesuit is the 6th best team in the Midwest, and lost to the #83 team in the UNITED STATES (MICDS) by ONE GOAL.

I'm sorry to be the debby downer, but whoever is cocky enough to make a statement such as that, will get a VERY rude awakening when they see the results on sunday
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
Hummel18
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

three of our five poles are first year players and the other two are 2nd and third year players
Back to top Go down
Hummel18
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Jack wrote:

And to whoever made the comment that Top WI teams can hang with the Midwests best... I'm going to rain on that parade for a minute.

There isn't a Wisconsin team ranked in EVEN THE TOP 100 TEAMS IN THE MIDWEST. Wait til #1 in state Marquette gets their butts served to them on a silver platter by #2 in Missouri SLU Jesuit. I'm thinking 10 goal lead end of the first half, with SLU Jes. having over 75% of the possession.

Saint Louis Jesuit is the 6th best team in the Midwest, and lost to the #83 team in the UNITED STATES (MICDS) by ONE GOAL.

I'm sorry to be the debby downer, but whoever is cocky enough to make a statement such as that, will get a VERY rude awakening when they see the results on sunday

i completley agree with jack, you could put team madison and team millwaukee together and play any MIAA team ( thats the maryland private school leauge with BL and all) and would get beat by at elast 15
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Nick you are giving the Allstar teams too much credit I think. You could put those teams together, and still get smashed by any of the top 20 MIDWEST teams
Back to top Go down
Hummel18
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

lol sorry jack just tryna be nice about it, i no your right seeing as BL and Loyola beat Dulany (the #1 5A public school in Maryland) 27-1 ha
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Jack wrote:

um, Jack, no-one on this thread or any other thread that I have read have said anything about Wisconsin being able to compete with the best in the Midwest. If anyone did, I agree that they would be incorrect. We have played at Brebeuf the past three years, and have competed against teams such as Loyola Academy (IL) and St. Xavier (OH). No-one in the state would even be able to compete with these teams. Though still, this shouldn't frighten any players who have hopes of playing in different colleges. Despite the fact that many teams are of a much stronger caliber than all of the teams in Wisconsin, a lot of that has to due with overall team depth and very, very strong coaching. While the individual skills of many of these kids are ridiculous, as I have played with and against kids from Upper Arlington and Bro Rice, I have realized that there are a few players in wisco that would def be able to compete. So, don't let this get your hopes down!
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:15 pm

gfields5 wrote:
Jack wrote:

um, Jack, no-one on this thread or any other thread that I have read have said anything about Wisconsin being able to compete with the best in the Midwest. If anyone did, I agree that they would be incorrect. We have played at Brebeuf the past three years, and have competed against teams such as Loyola Academy (IL) and St. Xavier (OH). No-one in the state would even be able to compete with these teams. Though still, this shouldn't frighten any players who have hopes of playing in different colleges. Despite the fact that many teams are of a much stronger caliber than all of the teams in Wisconsin, a lot of that has to due with overall team depth and very, very strong coaching. While the individual skills of many of these kids are ridiculous, as I have played with and against kids from Upper Arlington and Bro Rice, I have realized that there are a few players in wisco that would def be able to compete. So, don't let this get your hopes down!

I'm sorry I was misunderstood there Garrett, Milw > Mad said something about teams from Milwaukee being way better than Madison, and being able to compete with anyone in the Midwest.

Guys, GFields is a wise wise man, dont be discouraged by what you're reading, I was just trying to prove a point
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Fields, that Mil>Mad kid said what Jack is talking about, the post was deleted though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Back to the purpose of this thread, another individual that Brenzi mentioned on a different thread that def deserves recognition is Tom Vanvalkenberg (again, check spending). From what Brenzi said and from what my friends at Milwaukee Select mentioned, Tom is an absolute beast, and one of the most talented players in the state that def deserves more recognition.
Back to top Go down
Ron Mexico
Freshman
Freshman
Ron Mexico

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Tom is a beast. I have the wonderful time in trying to stop him. his shot is in the 90s and dominate with both hands. he plays for GB SW a bad team this year due to they lost all from last year. I think he is going to U of Minn. like
I said on another thread one man cant carry the show all year. But he is good.
Back to top Go down
gbpackers12
Freshman
Freshman
gbpackers12

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 10:25 am

id say an underrated player would ahve to be anyone on Waunakee attack.

also, number 20 for waunakee has a great clear, and handles the ball quite well. he really frustrated hummel on monday
Back to top Go down
laxmehard
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 am

Jack wrote:

I disagree with this statement. When MUHS goes down to Brebeuf, I think that they will lose to SLU Jesuit, but I don't think it will be a complete blowout like you say, I have no doubt in my mind that Marquette will compete. I definitely don't think that SLU will have over 75% of the possession.
Now I know it says that SLU is ranked 6th in the Midwest, but you have to remember it's laxpower.com and those rankings aren't always accurate. If you actually look at their schedule, you'll notice they only play three good teams, MICDS from Missouri, Cathedral from Indiana, and Rockhurst Jesuit from Missouri. They lost to MICDS and Cathedral 4-10 and 4-5 respectively, and beat Rockhurst Jesuit 9-7. MICDS is ranked 5th in the Midwest, but if you look at their schedule, they face only one out-of-state team, Douglas County from Colorado, and lose 2-7 (Douglas County is ranked 261st nationally while MICDS is ranked 88th). I think Cathedral is a very good team that is better than SLU Jesuit and MICDS based on their schedule, but if you look at their rankings, they are 24th in the Midwest to SLU's 6th. Rockhurst Jesuit is very good team which is why I give SLU a lot of credit for beating them and is why I believe MUHS will lose.
SLU Jesuit also faced Evanston Township, a team they beat only by 1 point (12-11). If you believe so much in the laxpower.com rankings, then you should believe MUHS chances are very high in beating SLU Jesuit because MUHS is ranked 1019th nationally and Evanston is ranked 1156th nationally. According to laxpower.com, MUHS is better than Evanston Township.
Personally, I think that the laxpower.com national and regional rankings are stupid and completely contradictory. So yeah, I think that Marquette will most likely lose to SLU Jesuit, however they will be able to compete with them and it will not be a blow out like you claim.
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:11 am

You're sadly wrong unfortunately. While yes this early in the season Laxpower's rankings are flawed, and they will be until they have the full data from the full season, you're forgetting that they're playing top teams in state's where lacrosse is FAR better than Wisconsin. I mean it's cute we're sending a few kid's D3 and what not, but let's get real, we can't touch them. It will be domination.
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:20 am

laxmehard, I appreciate your points and believe that there is a lot of truth behind them -- while laxpower is a nice system, it is obvious that those rankings are kind of bogus. Actually, we at Marquette have used many of your arguements as motivation going into Brebeuf this weekend.

However, SLU is a very, very good team and it will pose an EXTREMELY difficult challenge for us. I won't take a stance on the outcome of the game; though, regardless of the score, I'm just excited that we get to play strong, out of state competition, and hope that we can perform to the best of our abilities. We will do our best to represent Wisconsin to the fullest of our abilities. I'll keep you guys informed on how the tournament goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated Players in '08   Most Underrated Players in '08 Empty

Back to top Go down

Most Underrated Players in '08
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next