Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Game Results/Banter

Go down 
+18
thedamnedfan
foxmotox643
northshorelax37
ahsgoalie1
MUHS #30
kmlax26
RiDE
HockeyandLax
Lefty019
Nate
tdarcy
JordanEC23
zack attack 12
bigpattyboy36
Keeper33
SiouxLax
madcity31
Jack
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2007-05-11

Game Results/Banter Empty
PostSubject: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 2:18 am

This thread can be for people to talk about scores and results from games, as well as highlights.

Did Waunakee really beat MUHS by 10? Someone give me a rundown
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
madcity31
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 8:30 am

Waunakee jumped out to a 11-0 start, then coasted. Marquette does not seem to like the physical play of teams in the bulrush conference. ref was new, did not call alot. that aside, waunakee was too much for them.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Just because a ref is new doesn't mean he wont call a lot, its actually usually the other way around.
Back to top Go down
madcity31
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: NEW REF   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 2:00 pm

The guy actually said after the game "This is my first year being a ref,and it will be my last. Im tired of this crap and dont need it." (In reference to marquette coach in his ear all day. ) He did a fine job, but had a very hard time dealing with both coaches and players, telling him the rules. Oh, and a 1st year guy by himself wasnt good for him either, he clearly was pissed, and could have used the 2nd guy to back him up. I hope he sticks it out, the league needs good refs.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 2:15 pm

He's either the guy I reffed with out in Stoughton where we had issues, or this is a recurring theme among new refs. I'm among them, I don't need that crap. With me personally, it's the fact that the coaches and parents who bitch, don't know the rules, so they should shut the hell up. With these new refs, they're trying their best, but coaches have to all be dbags (whether you like it or not all coaches are with a FEW select ones such as Coach Darcy who don't complain).

EDIT I looked it up on the master schedule, it was the guy I reffed with in Stoughton. He actually does a good job, but most of the refs they try to recruit come from hockey reffing, where coaches don't talk nearly as much because if they do it's generally a penalty.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:15 pm

I think refs should start calling penelties on coachs who constintly yell at them. They dont need to hear it and if the coach keeps doing it, they will have to deal with being a man down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Bay Port 18, Menasha 5

worst game i played all year but then not having any action for the entire 1st quarter and being rained on the entire time really hurt the mental part of playing goalie. It is really sad that the freshman goalie who went in for the last 3 minutes of the game had a better save % than me lol 1/1
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:26 pm

how is letting in 5 goals the whole game your worst performance?
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:27 pm

only had 2 saves
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:28 pm

oh, so menasha must really be as bad as people say? 7 shots the whole first 3 quarters? its my opinion that if you win by that many goals, the goalies save percentage is a pretty pointless statistic
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:30 pm

8 shots the entire game, none until the second quarter
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Hardest games to play are the ones where you do so little. Like my Junior year when we played Lafollete, I quite literally had one shot on goal, and I wasn't paying attention because we were up by 10, so it went right by. Devastating to have a 0 save %.
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyWed May 16, 2007 11:41 pm

in reference to MUHS vs Waunakee....

yes the score you see on laxpower is a fact, 16-6.

something has to be said about the referree for this game, and i'll try to not make it sound whiny and complaining... as i have grown to understand the game of lacrosse, the job of the referee is to keep the game under control(correct me if i'm wrong, i know there is at least one referee who reads these forums of which i would be very interested in talking to in referrence to some of the game situations i bore witness to on tuesday).

there were innumerable slashes, pushes with possession and loose ball violations that should have been called and over time evolved into personal fouls coming from both teams.(i want to stress taht the style of play could be seen on both sides of the field, but because i'm from Marquette, i have to make the observation taht Waunakee plays waht is, in my humble opinion, an overly physical game) the game was being played in a manner in which lacrosse was never meant to be played. the checks went from being hearty slaps meant to jar the ball loose from the opponent's crosse, to axe-murder checks which had little more purpose than to send someone to a local hospital with a broken arm or wrist. there were so many sticks on helmets, it's a miracle that someone's cage/stick wasnt broken. the game had escalated to a festival of killshot after killshot, and people were forgettting that they were on a lacrosse pitch -- not some mosh pit on the Warped Tour.

after cleanly winning the faceoff late in the game, Marquette's midfielder began running downfield towards goal, faked a shot and passed off to one of his wingman who proceeded to make the goal. in the 5 yards after the F/O middie had gotten rid of the ball, he had retired his stick to his side and begun to lightly jog into the box. Waunakee's F/O man proceeded to come up behind the Marquette player and give him one of the nastiest crosschecks from behind that i have ever seen. Marquett'e F/O man hit the deck almost immediatley and was obviously in pain-how he got up i have no idea, but the play should have warranted a great deal of attention from the ref... but... the referree stood idly by and called the goal fair as the clock winded down and the game expired.

the game got totally out of control. the reason why the referee must be held so accountable for this is because(as i have grown to learn) this is his responsibility. it is the referee's judgement as to whether a check is legal or illegal and as to whether fighting for a groundball turns too violent. by not calling penalties in over 80% of potentially dangerous(and painfully obvious) situations, the referee is then approving of the way the game is being played and allowing the play to continue. this then teaches the players that this low-level style of play is acceptable and thus the agression on the field increases and the chances for players getting injured increases.

is it a the referee's job to teach the players the game? no. that is the coach's job. but by allowing such play to run rampant across the lacrosse pitch does in fact teach the players that that play is acceptable, which it is not. it's a form of operant conditioning -- a subject will be either punished or reinforced based upon his behavior. as i have observed the game, penalties are a means of punishing a player for his actions on the field so as to discourage the action in the future, lest he suffer the same penalty again.

from a game standpoint... it was a tale of two halves. Waunakee came out hard and physical in the first and jumped to a huge lead and then just went on cruise control. Marquette possesed the ball for almost 20 minutes during the 2nd half, and somehow the shots just werent falling in.

if there are anylegit players on Waunakee's team it would be the midfielder #16 and their goalie. 16 was fast and athletic and had a good shot. i dont know how the ball was able to stick to the pocket like it did, but if he was allowed a big enough gap, he'd make you hurt. the goalie was getting unbelievably lucky. Marquette couldnt seem to avoid hitting either his body or post, and on a rare occasion did the goalie make a save in his stick.

the attitude of the Waunakee players was cocky-to say the least-and rightfully so. after beating up on one of the teams from the big city i'd feel pretty good about myself too. could Waunakee keep up with teams from Chicago or Minnesota? yes, but i think taht they dont have enough skilled players to be truly effective. This is what will prevent them from winning the state championship this year.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 12:16 am

good post patty, but as far as lacrosse is concerned, Madison is the big city.
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 12:51 am

I'll be honest, I completely stopped reading your post after Waunakee Marquette because I know it's about the ref. First off, yes he sucks. As a fellow ref, I've reffed with him, and he honestly doesn't know what he's calling, and he says things to coaches he honestly shouldn't. BUT! Coaches need to shut up. When I reffed with him in Stoughton, the coaches went to far (Stoughton guys no need to rekindle that whole talk). I've reffed at least 4-5 games this year where if it were hockey, I'd have kicked the coach out, and I'm not exagerating to the least bit. I also ran in to a SECOND incident where a ref has pretty much quit, because of coaches. Buchman, a damn good ref from Milwaukee, is not going to ref for sure Uschool maybe not anyone anymore, because of coaches giving grief. (For those who weren't there tonight, Robin Buckley went out to the middle of the field to tell him he was making the wrong call, and just went on and on to the point where I had to go over and explain to him that in fact he was wrong.) Players and coaches realize, you're not spawning new quality refs, they're made. If you lose the ones who are still learning, or in this case a quality one whose just fed up, you're not going to have ANY good ones left. So please, show us respect, because me honestly from now on, I'm just going to start throwing out unsportsmanlikes until people get the hint.
Back to top Go down
zack attack 12
JV
JV
zack attack 12

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 2:49 am

The Butters wrote:
Buchman, a damn good ref from Milwaukee, is not going to ref for sure Uschool maybe not anyone anymore, because of coaches giving grief. (For those who weren't there tonight, Robin Buckley went out to the middle of the field to tell him he was making the wrong call, and just went on and on to the ref.

honestly did you expect anything less from buckley haha...seriously though, it would be a damn shame to lose buchman, he is a fine official. the game tonight at Uschool was flawless, compliments to you butters and mr. buchman. But that is also part of the game, getting into the refs ear. part of any sport. Yes, i think it is a problem that coaches and parents are jumping on refs as much as they do, being as all the officials tend to be newer. However, one does have to realize that questioning calls and trying to gain an advantage for their team, is part of the game. Again, I agree whole heartdly with you butters, but it goes both ways. By the way bigpattyboy, nice post couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 10:07 am

Can you like tell the coaches before the game that you'll give them a penalty for harassing you the first time and then eject them after the second?
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 12:00 pm

There's too much of a fine line from preventing them do what coaches do (complain) and actually harassment of the ref. But idealy, yes that would be the solution. From my point of view, I avoid it, because I don't want to hurt a team because their coach is a moron.
Back to top Go down
tdarcy
Freshman
Freshman

Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Refs   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm

It is one thing to say you disagreewith a call, quite another to berate a ref. Yelling at refs, calling them names or cursing at them is ridiculous. Most of the refs I know perosnally expect some banter from coaches and deal with it well. I just wish coaches, players and especially parents would recognze that no refs = no games.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 3:04 pm

AHS vs. KM tonight

I'll post up the score when I get home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Bay Port vs. Southwest tonight (hopefully a repeat of the last meeting)
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 3:56 pm

Bigpattyboy, I know who the ref is you were talking about. I showed respect for him up until one of my games when I calmly asked him a question and he said, "Would you just shut the hell up!?". He was throwing misconduct calls to people for "challenging a call" but later on in the game he just stopped doing it and a kid was on the ground swearing right in front of him and he didn't call it. But it was the past and I could really care less now. He's just used to reffing hockey which is probably more agressive than lacrosse is so I think he just needs to get used to the sport. He had some great calls and he has potential at being a good ref if he didn't call coaches names to their faces or tell a player to shut up while he/she is asking a question. I'm just glad we have awesome refs like Butters out there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
Lefty019
JV
JV
Lefty019

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 4:23 pm

well said, i think it is a real shame also when the parents are yelling at the refs when the majority of the parents don't know hardly anything about the game.
Back to top Go down
zack attack 12
JV
JV
zack attack 12

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 4:30 pm

so true lefty haha i laugh when i hear parents yelling out calls when they don't know what they ar talking about..haha but in otherwords, as tdarcy said, refs and coaches should have one of those special relationships of getting on each other about calls, yes a coach should challenge a few calls(his job) but calling the ref names, etc uncalled for. great post coach darcy
Back to top Go down
Keeper33
JV
JV
Keeper33

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter EmptyThu May 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Bay Port 5, Southwest 2

amazing game to play in back and forth with great shooting chances for both teams. I posted 24 saves on 26 shots on goal, with numerous 1 v 1 situations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Results/Banter   Game Results/Banter Empty

Back to top Go down

Game Results/Banter
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next