Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2008 High School All-Americans

Go down 
+19
tdarcy
Jaron
Neenahlax2
Green Bay Rep
Lefty019
Battleaxe
mkexlax
wiMiddie
Ron Mexico
RunninMan12
WiscoLax
laxmehard
Jack
snhu21
DwinsChamps
SiouxLax
JordanEC23
Butters
gfields5
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-03-28

2008 High School All-Americans Empty
PostSubject: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyFri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm

At the beginning of the year, I was informed that Wisconsin would be receiving two boys high school All-American selections this year. From what I was told, for every certain number of "varsity" programs (programs recognized by the school), a state receives an AA selects - I believe the number is one AA for every 4 varsity programs. Have any of you heard about this? If its true, who do you guys think are the frontrunners?
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:22 am

People honestly have no opinions on this...really?
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2007-09-15

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:36 am

I think it's cool, but no matter how they do it people are going to be pissed. That's kind of why I didn't touch it at first. To pick two players from the talent pool is going to be rediculously hard.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 12:45 pm

I'm assuming varsity in this regard means school sanctioned varsity? What 8 teams are school sanctioned? I only know of a few. But yeah, I wouldn't really attempt to pick two at this point, I haven't seen nearly enough games to choose.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 1:22 pm

AHS, Marquette(i think), USM, and KM from the Milwaukee area are.

I can't say for the Madison or GB area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:06 pm

They are sanctioned by their own schools, but not by the WIAA.
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:15 pm

The WIAA part doesn't matter. Minnesota had All-Americans a few years ago and didn't they just become part of their WIAA-like organization?
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Regardless of who they pick for the All-American selections, I believe that this is a great opportunity for Wisconsin lacrosse -- giving us two AA selections is just another example of how far Wisconsin lacrosse has come in the past few years.

Personally, I am glad that I am not on the selection committee because I have no idea who I would pick. I guess Nick Hummel would be a likely candidate as he is one of the more prolific scorers and has the reputation to boot. The second slot is wide open, in my book. From Milwaukee, Joe Boticelli from Eastside has not had as strong of a season as I expected, though he is still one of the stronger players; Danny Myers had a strong beginning of the season, as he has been the offensive catalyst for Marquette; and obviously there are a few others.

Oh, and unfortunately, Marquette is NOT a school sponsored sport.
Back to top Go down
snhu21
Freshman
Freshman
snhu21

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm

hummel is good.... i just dont think he is one of the best players in the state
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:16 pm

I would not even say that Hummel is even the best attackmen on his own team (i'd give that to Kyle Bonebreak)

Its so tough to pick all-americans... I dont know if any players in the state stand out enough to be picked...
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:17 pm

I would agree that I don't believe that Hummel is as good as many people make him out to believe, though I think it would be hard to say that he is not one of the better players in the state. My point would be, if you aren't willing to give it to Hummel, then who would you give it to? With Hummel's skill coupled with his reputation, I see him being one of the frontrunners for the AA selection.

Obviously there is going to be some argument about the selections, and no selection would be perfect. However, selections will be made. If you guys had to make a list of ten players that could go on an "All-American Watch List," similar to the Tewarraton Watch List that is selected before they break it down to the final five, who would you pick?
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Who exactly would select WI's All Americans, because that would totally change who I thikn is likely or not.
Back to top Go down
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm

I don't think just because we have 2 all american selections, that we necesarily need to use them. When I think of an all american I think of someone who was truly a standout, which this year in Wisconsin there really isn't one. For example, back in the day Verona played Eden Prairie. Their goalie was an all american, honestly the best goalie I've ever seen play, now he plays for Air Force (switched to LSM). We just don't have anyone like that.
Back to top Go down
laxmehard
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

These are players that I've seen play this season, I know there are others but since I haven't seen what they've done I can't really comment on them.

So here are some good players I think could definitely get the AA selection, in no particular order...

Hummel (Middleton)
Fields (Marquette)
Boticelli (Eastside)
Myers (Marquette)
Grimes (Arrowhead)
Nichols (KM)
Gradecki (Marquette)

(haha sorry about all the marquette selections, i think they have the most talent on any one team, their problem is that they don't work well together as a team and they dont seem to have the motivation to want to try that hard, which leads to a lot of losses)
Back to top Go down
gfields5
JV
JV
gfields5

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Butters wrote:
I don't think just because we have 2 all american selections, that we necesarily need to use them. When I think of an all american I think of someone who was truly a standout, which this year in Wisconsin there really isn't one. For example, back in the day Verona played Eden Prairie. Their goalie was an all american, honestly the best goalie I've ever seen play, now he plays for Air Force (switched to LSM). We just don't have anyone like that.

Well I think that it would be kind of a slap in the face of this year's seniors if the WLF choses not to name two All-Americans this year. Just because there is no Tayler Nissi (Eden Prairie's goalie who plays LSM for Air Force), does not mean that there are no players worthy of an AA selection. For example, when comparing this year's players to some of the best teams in Wisconsin history, Middleton and Marquette two years ago with the likes of Jaron, Pano, Jack etc, and then Verona three years ago with Bice and all; I believe that the talent is comparable. Regardless of who is selected, I believe that Wisconsin SHOULD use its selections.

My List of Potential All-Americans
Kyle Bonebrake - Attack - Middleton
Nick Hummel - Attack - Middleton
Danny Myers - Attack - Marquette
Tom Vanvalkenburg - Attack - Green Bay SW
Jared Woock - Attack - Waunakee
Austin Grimes - Midfield - Arrowhead
Joe Boticelli - Midfield - Eastside
Cody Hurd - LSM - Middleton
Richard Poirier - Defense - Wausau
David Gebhardt - Defense - Marquette
Back to top Go down
WiscoLax
Freshman
Freshman
WiscoLax

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:51 pm

If Botecelli had more players with him other than just kyle(attack) with him he'd be doing a lot more, when there's good players with him, like milwaukee select last year, you really start to see his skill. Fields and The eastside LSM are easily two of the best LSM in the state, attack i'd probably have to go with hummel cause he gets mad recognition and even though he's not putting up a lot of stats this year, every single team middleton plays knows the number on his jersey...
Back to top Go down
RunninMan12
Rookie
Rookie
RunninMan12

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm

You shouldn't just select all american because you can. Butters is right, its an honor that you have to put the work forth to deserve. If Wisconsin ever truly wants to be taken seriously for having good lacrosse no one would be an all american until there was someone who truly deserves it. Very few players have played in Wisconsin that should be considered and certainly no one this season.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:47 pm

^agreed...just because we are eligible to have two selected doesn't mean we should.

People that are worthy of an AA pick should be able to play to the caliber of all the other AA's...I don't think anyone from Wisconsin is at that level this year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
Butters
Varsity
Varsity

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm

gfields5 wrote:
Well I think that it would be kind of a slap in the face of this year's seniors if the WLF choses not to name two All-Americans this year. Just because there is no Tayler Nissi (Eden Prairie's goalie who plays LSM for Air Force), does not mean that there are no players worthy of an AA selection. For example, when comparing this year's players to some of the best teams in Wisconsin history, Middleton and Marquette two years ago with the likes of Jaron, Pano, Jack etc, and then Verona three years ago with Bice and all; I believe that the talent is comparable. Regardless of who is selected, I believe that Wisconsin SHOULD use its selections.
Well first off, it was Dan Gnazzo, I have no idea who that Tayler Nissi is. Second, Bice/Pano are in a league of their own when it comes to Wisconsin talent. There is no one comparable. I found a dvd in my room a couple weeks back of the Verona/Middleton bullrush game from 2005. Then going from that to watching the Bullrush tourney of this year, it's like watching Varsity then watching JV. But that's my opinion. Thirdly it's not a slap in the face to this years seniors. If no one truly stands out (which is what an All American should do) then why should some pretty good player get it. Awards aren't given away, they're earned. My .02 cents though, not trying to start an argument or anything so please don't take this post the wrong way.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Admin
Jack

Number of posts : 741

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Pano isn't head and shoulders above the rest...

He was good, but he was a good ATHLETE, his lacrosse skills weren't elite in the least bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wisconsinlax.aforumfree.com
WiscoLax
Freshman
Freshman
WiscoLax

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 8:15 pm

I dont think wisconsin lacrosse will ever have comparable top players to the top players from the states on East coast... I just don't see why Wisconsin wouldn't take this opportunity to recognize this year's two top players.
Back to top Go down
snhu21
Freshman
Freshman
snhu21

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 9:19 pm

I played with Botecelli 2 years ago on milwaukee select and hes a great all around player... hes probably the fastest middie ive seen and hes got great stick skills... i would give one of the selections to him... i heard fields is a great LSM from marquette.... i dont know if there is a great madison player that would get a selection
Back to top Go down
Ron Mexico
Freshman
Freshman
Ron Mexico

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:23 pm

I agree with fields for the most part. And Wisconsin lacrosse has come a long way so we should give AA awards to the top two players in the state just to recognize them.

My watch list not in any order

Nick Hummel - Attack - Middleton
Danny Myers - Attack - Marquette
Tom Vanvalkenburg - Attack - Green Bay SW
Jared Woock - Attack - Waunakee
Austin Grimes - Midfield - Arrowhead
Joe Boticelli - Midfield - Eastside
Cody Hurd - LSM - Middleton
Richard Poirier - Defense - Wausau
David Gebhardt - Defense - Marquette
Alex Smith - Midfield/FO - Notre Dame
Gerrett Fields - LSM - Marquette
David Hoeft - Goalie - Waunakee
Back to top Go down
wiMiddie
Freshman
Freshman

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:25 pm

I would throw Tyler Fix up also...He plays for Waunakee as a Middie
Back to top Go down
RunninMan12
Rookie
Rookie
RunninMan12

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:00 pm

WiscoLax wrote:
I dont think wisconsin lacrosse will ever have comparable top players to the top players from the states on East coast... I just don't see why Wisconsin wouldn't take this opportunity to recognize this year's two top players.

Wisconsin is a great sports state, i have lived all over the country and we are competitive in everything, there is no reason as the sport grows, and players are being exposed to it at younger levels that our talent level can't be the same as the east coast.

Secondly if we want to honor players thats great, but we need to do it in the proper way, not giving them accolades they dont truly deserve. Its like a honorary degree if we have an All American from Wisconsin, it means nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 High School All-Americans   2008 High School All-Americans Empty

Back to top Go down

2008 High School All-Americans
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next